Calvary Baptist Church of West Asheville, NC was organized on January 3, 1890 in the old Odd Fellows Hall which stood on the corner of Hanover Street and Haywood Road. There were sixty-eight charter members and The Reverend R.P. Walker was called to be the first pastor. The church was the outgrowth of a mission Sunday School sponsored by the West End Baptist Church. The first church building was located on the west side of Hanover Street in the block between Haywood Road and Pennsylvania Avenue. Calvary was one of the first churches in West Asheville. At the time of her founding, the only other church was Balm Grove Methodist, now Trinity Methodist Church. In 1916 the present lot was purchased and the sanctuary was completed in 1925. Each Sunday during the building campaign, a special collection was taken in an old iron pot, a symbol still used today for collecting special offerings.
Our church has been categorized by many as a church of “firsts.” Calvary was the first church to establish a Brotherhood organization in the Baptist State Convention of NC. We were the first to have a Vacation Bible School in Asheville, the first to have a graded choir program, the first to have a race relations program in West Asheville, thus placing us among one of the first progressive churches in the region seeking to promote justice. In June 2003, Calvary presented the Baptist Children’s Home of North Carolina $100,000 to be used for a new home to assist developmentally impaired young adults. The Bolick Home, as it was named in honor of Alverta Bolick who donated a large sum for the home, was opened in 2006 and is located on the lot adjacent to the rear campus. In addition to the support given to various mission organizations, our church has served in West Virginia, Kansas City, Oklahoma, Florida, Boston, Kentucky, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Connecticut, New York, Belgium,Poland, and Nicaragua.
Through the years there have been numerous people who have contributed to make Calvary the strong church she is today. We look forward with great anticipation to what God has in store for our future!