Click the link above to read this week’s Wednesday Word.
Corridor District Mission Day
Saturday, August 25 ~ 8:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Click the link above to read about:
Disciple Bible Outreach Ministries (DBOM) – Special Sunday offering this Sunday.
PFLAG – Signature Ad in the Independent Weekly.
Re-Connect: Young Adults on a Mission event this Saturday.
Farewell reception honoring Rev. Gray Southern & Jeanne Rouse this Saturday.
Volunteers needed for Calvary Pride Parade Committee, and Homecoming & Sanctuary Dedication Committee.
PFLAG – Signature Ad in the Independent Weekly
PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) will once again publish a Signature Ad in the Independent Weekly in September 2012. This is their only fundraiser of the year, and these funds enable PFLAG to carry out its mission:
PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender persons, their families and friends, through:
Advocacy: to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights
Support: to cope with an adverse society
Education: to enlighten an ill-informed public
Their message is simple: “We the undersigned affirm the lives of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people. We condemn acts of bigotry and hatred. We join PFLAG in celebrating the lives of those we love and admire; acceptance and love…family values for a lifetime.”
As the signature ad will be published in the Pride edition of the Independent Weekly in September, PFLAG needs to receive completed submissions by September 7th.
If you would like your name to be listed under Calvary United Methodist Church, you can…
1) Come to church this Sunday or next (August 26th and September 2nd) and add your name to the Purple PFLAG – Signature Ad sign-up sheet that will be in the Sanctuary.
2) Sign-in and leave a comment below with your name (as you’d like it to appear in the ad).
3) If you’re unable to do either of these but would like your name listed under Calvary United Methodist Church, please call the church office and leave a message with LaNella (919-688-7138).
Click the link above to read this week’s Wednesday Word including:
From Pastor Jen
Re-Connect: Young Adults on a Mission
Clergy & Laity
Click the Wednesday Word link above to read about Calvary at the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Sunday’s potluck, food donations, and more.
Show Durham that “Love Works”!
In past years at the NC GLFF, there have been anti-LGBTQ protesters, spreading messages of hate and intolerance. This year, Calvary will show our love for all of our neighbors by holding up signs of love and acceptance outside of the Carolina Theater in downtown Durham, where the NC GLFF is held. We will also have business cards to hand out with Calvary’s information and a welcoming message.
There are still three ways to get involved:
- Join us on Friday August 10th as we give out FREE Hugs from 6-9pm outside of the Carolina Theater.
- Join us on Sunday August 12th from 3-6pm outside of the Carolina Theater to give out more FREE Hugs.
- Spread the word! If you have friends who might want to be involved with a project like this one, invite them to join us in this demonstration of love.
This is a wonderful opportunity for Calvary to extend our message that “Love Works” beyond our sanctuary walls. Please join us!
Potluck, Fellowship, Love Offering, Calvary at the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Choir and more. Click Wednesday Word – 08/01/12 above to read the full post.